9 Lessons from the 9 months

1. The way I spent my time determined everything.
I made it a point to not watch TV series or dramas unless it was part of a shared experience with other people (like going to the cinema). That meant I had a lot of time for studies, friends and cultivating other hobbies. I really appreciated that I made that decision, it made my time in England so much more fulfilling as I had spent a large portion of my time in real-life interaction and experiences, rather than getting caught up in virtual reality, which I can get in any part of the world.

2. Avoiding heart attacks through preparation feels good.
After the 1st assignment hand-in that I cut it super close, I made it a point to hand in everything early. There was an assignment that I even handed in close to 2 weeks before the due date. If I told Deb from a year ago that this happened, she would have laughed. It feels so much better to think ahead, plan early and get things done ahead of time.

3. The people I surrounded myself with affects me a great deal.
When I hung out with sad people I felt down. When I hung out with uplifting and kind people, it brings out that side of me too. When I was around people who were very guarded, I found it hard to have deep connection that I longed for. Also I live my life by biblical values, so when I found people who live by similar values (whether they were Christian, Muslim, or secular), I stuck with them as I value that and did not want to lose it.

4. There is richness to be gained from being with people vastly different to me.
I also chose to be around people who have very different beliefs and who lead very different lifestyles, whom I sometimes felt uncomfortable with. But I've thoroughly enjoyed getting to know them, and once i get past our differences, i realise that they have so many good qualities that I can adopt. I love that I got to enjoy being with people that I would normally never get the chance to associate with in Malaysia.

5. Awareness changes the way I live
Being aware of someone else's need alters the way I treat them. Being aware of where my money is being spent allows me to regulate my expenditures and savings much better. Being aware that a healthy relationship requires trust means that i chose to trust even when it's scary. Being aware that God is with me means that I can feel secure. The way awareness and knowledge changes things is endless.

6. If I want to get things done, I have to do it.
This is blindingly obvious but it became even more so when I was living away from my parents. I no longer had my parents to dote on me and do things for me, If I wanted it, I had to go and get it.

7. Keep finding a better & more efficient way to do things, never stay stagnant
When i first started doing my assignments, I spent ridiculous amounts of time reading anything vaguely related to my topic. Later on I found out that finding summative documents and specific literature that is directly related was much better and time and energy saving.

8. Taking risks is fun
I've always been a bit of a risk taker but i took a few bigger ones in England. Bigger risks means more fun! Mistakes can be fun too.

9. I found out I really love the outdoors, lights, lines, British humor, playing with children, art galleries, and discovering people and myself.

I pretty much regret nothing from my 9 months in England (except small things like I really should have spent more time learning how to cook well instead of getting microwaved meals...) & generally feel very satisfied with it all. I've made so many precious memories and friends. This hecka of a ride was better than I expected and more than I could have asked for. I'm so thankful to my main man Jesus who despite my shortcomings, I know has been holding my hand through it all, still is now, and forever will.

Perhaps the biggest lesson I've learnt is that having the knowledge deep in my heart that God is guiding me and that I only need to trust in Him gives me the stability to live life boldly.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

2022 - The lowest yet

This post might be a bit long.

It hurts.